Most cited source documents in the ResearchIndex database as of January 2001
This list only includes documents in the ResearchIndex database. Citations where one or more authors of the citing and cited articles match are not included. The data is automatically generated and may contain errors.
All years 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001
1. A Method for Obtaining Digital Signatures and Public-Key Cryptosystems - R.L. Rivest, A.. (1978)
An encryption method is presented with the novel property that publicly revealing
an encryption key does not...
2. Congestion Avoidance and Control - Van Jacobson, Michael J. Karels (1988)
This paper is a brief description of (i) -- (v) and the rationale
behind them. (vi) is an algorithm recently...
3. Rewrite Systems - Nachum Dershowitz, Jean-Pierre.. (1990)
Completion has recently been put in a more abstract framework [ Bachmair-etal, 1986 ] , an...
4. Systematic Software Development Using VDM - Cliff B. Jones (1995)
ion and Program
Synthesis, volume 75: Math. Studies of Information Processing of Lecture Notes in
5. Finding Structure in Time - Jeffrey L. Elman (1990)
Time underlies many interesting human behaviors. Thus, the question of how to represent time in connectionist...
6. The Stable Model Semantics For Logic Programming - Michael Gelfond, Vladimir.. (1988)
We propose a new declarative semantics for logic programs with negation. Its formulation is quite simple; at...
7. RSVP: A New Resource ReSerVation Protocol - Lixia Zhang, Steve Deering.. (1993)
this article we describe another.
8. A Scheme for Real-Time Channel Establishment in Wide-Area Networks - Domenico Ferrari (1990)
Multimedia communication involving digital audio and/or digital video has rather
strict delay requirements. A...
9. Mining Association Rules between Sets of Items in Large Databases - Rakesh Agrawal, Tomasz.. (1993)
We are given a large database of customer transactions.
Each transaction consists of items purchased by a...
10. Implementing Mathematics with The Nuprl Proof Development System - R. L. Constable, S. F.. (1986)
types have existential type.
In Proceedings of 12th ACM Symposium on
11. On the Self-Similar Nature of Ethernet Traffic - Will E. Leland, et al. (1993)
We demonstrate that Ethernet local area network (LAN) traffic is statistically self-similar, that
none of the...
12. Term Rewriting Systems - J.W. Klop (1992)
Reduction Systems : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : 3
1.1 Basic notions : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :...
13. Genetic Programming - John R. Koza (1997)
Genetic programming is a domain-independent problem-solving approach in which computer
14. Random Early Detection Gateways for Congestion Avoidance - Sally Floyd, Van Jacobson (1993)
This paper presents Random Early Detection (RED) gateways
for congestion avoidance in packet-switched...
15. Implementation and Performance of Munin - John Carter, John Bennett.. (1991)
Munin is a distributed shared memory (DSM) system
that allows shared memory parallel programs to be executed...
16. Fast Algorithms for Mining Association Rules - Rakesh Agrawal, Ramakrishnan.. (1994)
We consider the problem of discovering association rules between items in a large database
17. Intelligence Without Reason - Rodney A. Brooks (1991)
Computers and Thought are the two categories that together define Artificial Intelligence as a discipline.
18. The Cascade-Correlation Learning Architecture - Scott E. Fahlman, Christian.. (1991)
Cascade-Correlation is a new architecture and supervised learning algorithm for artificial neural networks....
19. Generalized additive models - Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani (1990)
This article describes flexible statistical methods that may be used to
identify and characterize the effect...
20. A New Method for Solving Hard Satisfiability Problems - Bart Selman, Hector Levesque.. (1992)
We introduce a greedy local search procedure called
GSAT for solving propositional satisfiability problems....
21. Bagging Predictors - Leo Breiman
Bagging predictors is a method for generating multiple versions of a predictor
and using these to get an...
22. TreadMarks: Distributed Shared Memory on Standard Workstations and.. - Pete Keleher, Alan L.. (1994)
TreadMarks is a distributed shared memory (DSM) system for standard Unix systems such as
SunOS and Ultrix....
23. Fine-Grained Mobility in the Emerald System - Eric Jul, Henry Levy, Norman.. (1988)
Emerald is an object-based language and system designed for the construction of distributed
24. Constraint Logic Programming: A Survey - Joxan Jaffar, Michael J. Maher (1994)
This section discusses some major issues in the design of an abstract machine for
the execution of...
25. Building a large annotated corpus of English: the Penn Treebank - Mitchell P. Marcus, Beatrice .. (1993)
this paper, we review our experience with constructing one such large annotated corpus---the
Penn Treebank, a...
26. A Semantics of Multiple Inheritance - Luca Cardelli (1988)
this paper is to present a clean semantics of multiple inheritance and to show that,
in the context of...
27. PVM 3 USER'S GUIDE AND REFERENCE MANUAL - Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack.. (1994)
This report is the PVM version 3.3 users' guide and reference manual. It
contains an overview of PVM, and how...
28. Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks - B. Ripley (1996)
The book by Przytula & Prasanna (1993) discusses in detail the parallel implementation...
29. Exokernel: an operating system architecture for application-level.. - Dawson R. Engler, M.. (1995)
We describe an operating system architecture that securely
multiplexes machine resources while permitting an...
30. Proof Verification and the Hardness of Approximation Problems - Sanjeev Arora, Carsten Lund.. (1992)
We show that every language in NP has a probablistic verifier that checks membership
proofs for it using...
31. Proof Verification and Hardness of Approximation Problems - Sanjeev Arora, Carsten Lund.. (1992)
The class PCP(f(n); g(n)) consists of all languages
L for which there exists a polynomial-time
32. The Object-Oriented Database System Manifesto - Malcolm Atkinson, Francois.. (1989)
This paper attempts to define an object-oriented database system. It describes the
main features and...
33. Inductive Logic Programming - Stephen Muggleton (1992)
A new research area, Inductive Logic Programming, is presently
emerging. While inheriting various positive...
34. Virtual Time and Global States of Distributed Systems - Friedemann Mattern (1989)
A distributed system can be characterized by the fact
that the global state is distributed and that a common...
35. A Framework for Defining Logics - Robert Harper, Furio Honsell.. (1987)
The Edinburgh Logical Framework (LF) provides a means to define (or
present) logics. It is based on a...
36. KQML as an agent communication language - Tim Finin, Yannis Labrou, James .. (1994)
This document and other information on the KRSS group is available as http://www.cs.umbc.edu/kse/krss/.
37. KQML as an Agent Communication Language - Tim Finin, Richard Fritzson.. (1994)
This paper describes the design of and experimentation with
the Knowledge Query and Manipulation Language...
38. Performance of Optical Flow Techniques - J.L. Barron, D.J. Fleet, S.S.. (1992)
While different optical flow techniques continue to appear, there has been a
lack of quantitative evaluation...
39. Lambda Calculi with Types - Henk Barendregt (1992)
ion is said to bind the free variable x in M . For example, we say
that x:yx has x as bound and y as free...
40. A Hierarchical Internet Object Cache - Anawat Chankhunthod, Michael.. (1995)
This paper discusses the design and performance of a proxy-cache designed to make Internet information...
41. Logical Foundations of Object-Oriented and Frame-Based Languages - Michael Kifer, Georg.. (1990)
We propose a novel formalism, called Frame Logic (abbr., F-logic), that accounts in a clean and
42. Parallel Programming in Split-C - David Culler (1993)
We introduce the Split-C language, a parallel extension
of C intended for high performance programming
43. The Lorel Query Language for Semistructured Data - Serge Abiteboul, Dallan Quass.. (1997)
We present the Lorel language, designed for querying semistructured data. Semistructured
data is becoming...
44. Indexing by Latent Semantic Analysis - Scott Deerwester, Susan T.. (1990)
A new method for automatic indexing and retrieval is described. The approach is to take
advantage of implicit...
45. Efficient Software-Based Fault Isolation - Robert Wahbe, Steven Lucco.. (1993)
One way to provide fault isolation among cooperating
software modules is to place each in its own address...
46. Globus: A Metacomputing Infrastructure Toolkit - Ian Foster, Carl Kesselman (1996)
Emerging high-performance applications require the ability to exploit diverse, geographically
47. Interpretation as Abduction - Jerry R. Hobbs, Mark Stickel.. (1990)
Abduction is inference to the best explanation. In the TACITUS project at SRI we
have developed an approach...
48. Stacked Generalization - David H. Wolpert (1990)
This paper introduces stacked generalization, a scheme for minimizing the generalization
error rate of one...
49. Constraint Query Languages - Paris C. Kanellakis, Gabriel M. .. (1990)
We investigate the relationship between programming with constraints and database query
languages. We show...
50. Where the Really Hard Problems Are - Peter Cheeseman, Bob Kanefsky.. (1991)
It is well known that for many NP-complete
problems, such as K-Sat, etc., typical cases are
easy to solve; so...
51. Querying Semi-Structured Data - Serge Abiteboul (1997)
this paper BibTex files [Lam94] that present the advantage
of being more familiar to researchers than other...
52. Revised Report on the Algorithmic Language Scheme - William Clinger, JONATHAN Rees.. (1991)
K 2 Con constants, including quotations
I 2 Ide identifiers (variables)
E 2 Exp expressions
53. Improved Approximation Algorithms for Maximum Cut and Satisfiability.. - M. X. Goemans, D.P.. (1995)
ing with credit is permitted. To copy otherwise,
to republish, to post on servers, or to redistribute to 1997...
54. The essence of functional programming - Philip Wadler (1992)
This paper explores the use monads to structure functional programs. No prior
knowledge of monads or category...
55. The PERFECT Club Benchmarks: Effective Performance Evaluation of.. - The PERFECT Club: M.. (1988)
This report consists of two major portions. First is the presentation of
a methodology for measuring the...
56. Irrelevant Features and the Subset Selection Problem - George John (1994)
We address the problem of finding a subset
of features that allows a supervised induction
algorithm to induce...
57. Comprehending Monads - Philip Wadler (1992)
Introduces monads as a way to structure functional programs and to manage array update.
58. Hard and Easy Distributions of SAT Problems - David Mitchell, Bart Selman.. (1992)
We report results from large-scale experiments in satisfiability
testing. As has been observed by others,...
59. Yacc: Yet Another Compiler-Compiler - Stephen Johnson (1979)
Computer program input generally has some structure; in fact, every computer
program that does input can be...
60. Foundations for the Study of Software Architecture - Dewayne Perry, Alexander L. Wolf (1992)
The purpose of this paper is to build the foundation
for software architecture. We first develop an
61. Experiments with a New Boosting Algorithm - Yoav Freund, Robert E. Schapire (1996)
In an earlier paper, we introduced a new "boosting"
algorithm called AdaBoost which, theoretically, can be...
62. The BSD Packet Filter: A New Architecture for User-level Packet.. - Steven McCanne, Van.. (1992)
Many versions of Unix provide facilities for user-level packet
capture, making possible the use of general...
63. The NAS Parallel Benchmarks - D. Bailey et al. (1994)
A new set of benchmarks has been developed for the performance
evaluation of highly parallel supercomputers....
64. End-To-End Arguments In System Design - J.H. Saltzer, D.P. Reed, D.D.. (1984)
This paper presents a design principle that helps guide placement of functions among the
modules of a...
65. Self-Similarity in World Wide Web Traffic: Evidence and Possible.. - Mark Crovella, Azer.. (1996)
Recently the notion of self-similarity has been shown to apply to wide-area
and local-area network traffic....
66. Proof-Carrying Code - George C. Necula (1997)
This paper describes proof-carrying code (PCC), a
mechanism by which a host system can determine with...
67. Learning Bayesian Networks: The Combination of Knowledge and.. - David Heckerman, Dan Geiger.. (1994)
We describe a Bayesian approach for learning Bayesian networks from a combination
of prior knowledge and...
68. A Language with Distributed Scope - Luca Cardelli (1995)
Obliq is a lexically-scoped, untyped, interpreted language
that supports distributed object-oriented...
69. Reinforcement Learning: A Survey - Leslie Pack Kaelbling, Michael.. (1996)
This paper surveys the field of reinforcement learning from a computer-science perspective. It
is written to...
70. View-Based and Modular Eigenspaces for Face Recognition - Alex Pentland, Baback.. (1994)
In this work we describe experiments with eigenfaces
for recognition and interactive search in
71. Camera Self-Calibration: Theory and Experiments - O.D. Faugeras, Q.-T. Luong S.J. .. (1992)
The problem of finding the internal orientation of a camera
(camera calibration) is extremely important for...
72. Fronts Propagating with Curvature Dependent Speed: Algorithms Based.. - Stanley Osher, James.. (1988)
This paper appeared as
Osher, S., and Sethian, J.A., Journal of Computational Physics, 79, pp.12-49, (1988)...
73. An introduction to disk drive modeling - Chris Ruemmler, John Wilkes (1994)
This paper has been published in IEEE Computer 27(3):17--29, March 1994. It
supersedes HP Labs technical...
74. Fast Planning Through Planning Graph Analysis - Avrim L. Blum, Merrick L. Furst (1995)
We introduce a new approach to planning in STRIPS-like domains based on constructing
and analyzing a compact...
75. QMR: a Quasi-Minimal Residual Method for Non-Hermitian Linear Systems - Roland W. Freund.. (1991)
this paper, we present a novel BCGlike
approach, the quasi-minimal residual (QMR) method, which overcomes the...
76. Relational Queries Computable in Polynomial Time - Neil Immerman (1986)
We characterize the polynomial time computable queries as those expressible
in relational calculus plus a...
77. Progressive Meshes - Hugues Hoppe (1996)
In the quest for realism in computer graphics, highly detailed geometric models are rapidly becoming...
78. A Query Language and Optimization Techniques for Unstructured Data - Peter Buneman, Susan.. (1996)
For certain database tasks that require great flexibility, some people are turning to a new kind of data...
79. Partial Constraint Satisfaction - Eugene C. Freuder, Richard J.. (1992)
A constraint satisfaction problem involves finding values for
variables subject to constraints on which...
80. Interior Point Methods In Semidefinite Programming With Applications.. - Farid Alizadeh (1995)
We study the semidefinite programming problem (SDP), i.e the optimization problem
of a linear function of a...
81. A New Fast and Efficient Image Codec Based on Set Partitioning in.. - Amir Said, William A.. (1996)
Embedded zerotree wavelet (EZW) coding, introduced by J. M. Shapiro, is a
very effective and computationally...
82. Partitioning of Unstructured Problems for Parallel Processing - Horst D. Simon (1994)
Many large scale computational problems are based on unstructured
computational domains. Primary examples are...
83. Limits of Instruction-Level Parallelism - David W. Wall (1990)
Growing interest in ambitious multiple-issue machines and heavilypipelined
machines requires a careful...
84. Querying Object-Oriented Databases - N. Kifer, W. Kim, Y. Sagiv (1992)
We present a novel language for querying object-oriented databases. The language is built
around the idea of...
85. Caching in the Sprite Network File System - Michael N. Nelson, Brent B.. (1988)
The Sprite network operating system uses large main-memory disk block caches to
achieve high performance in...
86. Munin: Distributed Shared Memory Based on Type--Specific Memory.. - John K. Bennett, John B.. (1990)
We are developing Munin
, a system that allows programs
written for shared memory multiprocessors to
87. Munin: Distributed Shared Memory Based on Type-Specific Memory.. - John K. Bennett, John B.. (1990)
We are developing Munin, a system that allows programs
written for shared memory multiprocessors to
88. Semidefinite Programming - Lieven Vandenberghe, et al. (1994)
In semidefinite programming one minimizes a linear function subject to the constraint that
89. APRIL: A Processor Architecture for Multiprocessing - Anant Agarwal, Beng-Hong Lim.. (1990)
Processors in large#scale multiprocessors must be able
to tolerate large communication latencies and
90. The Algorithmic Analysis of Hybrid Systems - R. Alur, C. Courcoubetis, N.. (1995)
We present a general framework for the formal specification and algorithmic analysis of hybrid
91. Querying the World Wide Web - Alberto Mendelzon, George A.. (1997)
The World Wide Web is a large, heterogeneous, distributed collection of documents
connected by hypertext...
92. The CN2 Induction Algorithm - Peter Clark, Tim Niblett (1989)
Systems for inducing concept descriptions from examples are valuable tools for
assisting in the task of...
93. A Logic Programming Language with Lambda-Abstraction, Function.. - Dale Miller (1991)
Function Variables, and Simple Unification
Department of Computer and Information Science...
94. Uniprocessor Garbage Collection Techniques - Paul R. Wilson (1992)
We survey basic garbage collection algorithms, and
variations such as incremental and generational...
95. A Fast And High Quality Multilevel Scheme For Partitioning Irregular.. - George Karypis, Vipin .. (1998)
F3.819e+05> Recently, a number of researchers have investigated a class of graph partitioning
96. Objects and Views - Serge Abiteboul, Anthony Bonner (1991)
Object-oriented databases have been introduced primarily to ease the development
of database applications....
97. An Extended Set of Fortran Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms - Jack J. Dongarra, Jeremy Du.. (1986)
This paper describes an extension to the set of Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms. The extensions are targeted...
98. Fast Effective Rule Induction - William W. Cohen (1995)
Many existing rule learning systems are
computationally expensive on large noisy
datasets. In this paper we...
99. Recursive Distributed Representations - Jordan B. Pollack (1990)
A long-standing difficulty for connectionist modeling has been how to represent
variable-sized recursive data...
100. The x-Kernel: An Architecture for Implementing Network Protocols - Norman C. Hutchinson, Larry .. (1991)
This paper describes a new operating system kernel, called the x-kernel, that provides an